Sunday 31 July 2016

Work of the Holy Spirit

Hey,

Well, it's another day so another evening service. Today's evening talk was about the person and the work of the Holy Spirit, and the speaker was Ruth.


Matthew 28:5-7



"The angel said to the women, 'Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him' Now I have told you."

How does God empowers us?





2 Timothy 1:3-5

"I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also."

Following Jesus is a struggling with what may seem like impossible challenges but when you trust in Jesus you are not alone and nothing is impossible.



2 Timothy 1:6-7 --> Living on fire with the gospel



"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline."

We need God's fire, Spirit to empower us and God never wanted you to do it alone, he is always with us. Giving you the gift to help which empowers you.





Acts 1:4


"On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them his command: 'Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about."

The gift of the Spirit





2 Timothy 1:8



"So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God."

Do not be ashamed of following God, but join me in suffering as Paul said and Jesus did for all of us. Focus on living for Jesus.






2 Timothy 1:9-12


"He has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Saviour, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day."


We have been saved because of God which was planned before time, therefore there is a wonderful future withing for us as death is not the end. We should trust the man who gave his life for us so join me in giving your life to Jesus because he is worth suffering for.





2 Timothy 1:13-14



"What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you - guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us."

We forget the gospel so easily within our day to day lives and therefore the desires of our hearts, and we should remind ourselves of the gospel each and every day. Guard the gospel with the help of the Holy Spirit as we cannot do it alone, but we were never meant to be alone.




Do not let the fire go out



2 Timothy 2:1


"You then. my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."

Continue to to remind yourself of the gospel and ask for more, don't settle.






Footprints by Mary Stevenson


One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.

I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."
He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."


Now for some questions to think about:

* What challenges do you face to live as a christian in your day to day life?

* What would it mean for you to suffer for the gospel?

* What would it mean for you to safeguard the gospel?

* How would you like the Holy Spirit to help you?




Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment