Tuesday 13 February 2018

The Greatest Showman


Hey everyone,



I hope you have all had a wonderful week and enjoying your start to the new year. My February started with me spending time with my family which involved celebrating my grandad’s life as well as going to the cinema to watch ‘The greatest showman’.


 Warning! Contain spoilers





 This film’s opening was portrayed like the opening of a performance. It gave the feeling of going to see a musical show live and not a movie on the screen. The title of this movie was demonstrated through the first song which was in the opening scene, as the song is called the greatest showman.



I feel that this show is about people from different worlds can fall in love which is demonstrated through the 2 pairs in this movie. P.T. Barnum who was poor fell in love with a rich man’s daughter, Charity and later on got married and have two beautiful twin children. The other pair that were from different worlds are Philip and Anne, again Philip is from a rich family but he falls in love with a trapeze artist, Anne. I feel that the theme of this movie is about people from different worlds and cultures coming together to entertain people and bring joy to everyone around them. I also feel that the key message of this film is that it doesn’t matter what differences we have we are all human and we are equal.





This film has many songs that I love and am going to discuss them. . .



‘The other side’

This song is about making a deal and breaking out of the stereotypical life you have, as this is the scene where Phillip who is rich makes a deal with P.T. Barnum to join his show which costs him his inheritance. I feel that to properly enjoy this song you first have to watch the scene as it is one of those songs that you have to watch and experience to properly like it.





‘A million dream’

How this song is portrayed is lovely as it presents P.T. Barnum and his wife Charity growing up together until the present time where they now have 2 daughters who also sing along in the song. This song is about following your dreams and to never stop no matter how long it takes as well as that it doesn’t matter what other people think.





‘Come Alive’

This song enforces what I feel is the key message of the show which is to not be ashamed of who you are. I feel that this song is also about changing societies ideals by opening your eyes and seeing the world as it is and not how it appears to be.



‘This is me’ and ‘Rewrite the Stars’

Both of these songs have a similar message so I thought I would discuss them together. The message they share is that it doesn’t matter what people think. However, ‘This is me’ is saying I don’t care what you say because I am who I am and I will stay true to myself, whereas ‘Rewrite the Stars’ is about not letting society define you and that it doesn’t matter what they say as long as you have the one you love with you, which is demonstrated well by Anne and Phillip.





‘From Now on’

This song is a promise from P.T. Barnum about not turning into the man he was who got caught up in the fame and thought that was the most important thing, but remember who he did it for. This song is about returning home to his family as that it is them who he did everything for. I feel that the main message of this song is that family is the most important thing.



Another element to this film that I enjoyed was that it ended the same way it started with him performing the song 'The Greatest Showman' but this time it wasn't a dream and he had friends that were like a second family surrounding him. You could say it was a dream come true.


Thank you for reading
Hope you enjoyed it
Please use the contact box or comment below





Amy x

No comments:

Post a Comment